03 Jul 2013

Fireworks Safety

Independence Day is just around the corner!  Celebrating with fireworks is a tradition of the generations.  However, as consumer fireworks have evolved, the number of firework related injuries rises as well.  Did you know that according to the National Fire Protection Association (www.nfpa.org) the tip of a sparkler burns at a temperature of more than 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough to cause third degree burns?

Stillwater Billings Clinic wishes you a fun and safe Independence Day and encourages you to be mindful when using commercial fireworks.  The National Safety Council advises that the best way to safely enjoy this 4th of July is to watch a public fireworks display conducted by professionals.  However, should you decide to use commercial fireworks, they share the following firework safety tips:

  • Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
  • Older children should use fireworks only under close adult supervision.
  • Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from onlookers, houses and flammable materials.
  • Light one device at a time; maintain a safe distance after lighting.
  • Do not allow any running or horseplay while fireworks are being used.
  • Never ignite devices in a container.
  • Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks; douse and soak them with water and discard them safely.
  • Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.

For more information visit www.nsc.org.

Stillwater Billings Clinic - Caring for Our Community